We are always on the look out for healthy alternatives which is why we were thrilled to stumble across this yummy almond flour banana bread by Kristen Marr, on her blog – Live Simply. One of many yummy, healthy recipes we came across.
This recipe is gluten-free but not dairy free as it contains yogurt – If you are looking for a dairy-free version replace the yogurt with almond milk. We adapted Kristen’s recipe slightly – a little less honey and a little more banana as well as yogurt. We happened to have most of the ingredients at home already but for the full-fat yogurt and butter we decided to go to Thrupps in Illovo for some wholesome goodness.. And for the Almond Flour we used our very own that we sell in-store. For those of you that don’t know we keep the almond pulp after making our home-made almond milks then we dry it out and grind it down to become almond flour – only R80 per 400grams.
Serves: 1 standard-size loaf
- 2½ cups almond flour
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt
- 4 very ripe medium sized bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 0 C
- Grease a large bread pan with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add in the honey, yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a large bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until the center is firm.
- Allow to cool.
- Remove from pan.
Slice and enjoy with some butter xx
Image and recipe: http://livesimply.me/2013/06/01/almond-flour-banana-bread/